Tumbulgum is a small, peaceful village situated on the banks of the Tweed River. Its name is an Aboriginal word meaning ‘meeting of the waters’ as the town sits at the meeting of the Rous River and Tweed River.
As one of the first settlements in the valley, Tumbulgum was originally a cedar logger’s settlement. Many of its early buildings were constructed of red cedar and are now gazetted by the National Trust. Today, activity at Tumbulgum centres on the river and hire boats are available for exploring the beautiful Rous River, one of the little known treasures of the Tweed. The ‘Tumby Pub’ as known to locals, is one of the attractions of the Tweed Valley with great food, a magnificent building and a perfect location on the Tweed River. It was the first pub in the area and has been licensed since 1887.